Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Look at Joan

When looking at art pieces in the Snite depicting Joan of Arc, I was struck at how differently the artists chose to portray her image. Once sculpture had her dressed in men's armor astride a horse, about to enter into battle, while another had her tied to a stake. The one that struck my partner's and my eyes for our Art Talk!, however, was Joan of Arc Praying bMarie Princess d'Orleans , which showed her praying with her sword in her arms. She had her helmet off and resting at her side, and the metal gloves were crossed next to it in the same fashion as her arms were crossed. I felt that it showed the true motivation of Joan’s fighting, her true devotion to God to do what he wanted done for his children of France. She had looked to God for guidance and faith, and I feel that it is important to portray her as a servant of the Lord, and not just as a warrior.

Perhaps this sculpture of Joan was able to portray this side of her sainthood because it was created by a woman who must have understand that true power of a woman taking control as an equal to men. The artist was a princess who most likely knew what it was like to be looked up at and expected to set an example, and how sometimes that it not something that can be done without inspiration. I appreciated the honesty of the piece, and how it showed a strong French woman that even people today could look at and find strength in.

3 comments:

  1. Please repost! we can't read this!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. I hope that this is better/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.... your comment about "the honesty of the piece" gives me pause. It is not because I do not believe that Marie de Bourbon felt deeply or was sincerely inspired by her faith to create this piece, but rather because I find it dangerous to assume that any artwork (or text) can be 100% honest. What does that mean? There is always a human dimension whenever a human creates anything, and as such, there is always room for opinion, perspective, or error. How can one piece of art be more honest than another? (See also my comments on Isabel's blog posting for this week.)
    To be continued!

    ReplyDelete