Tuesday, February 10, 2015

George Bernard Shaw Spices Things Up

“Woe unto me when all men praise me!” Although said by Joan when soldiers, executioners, and all men alike kneel before her, this quote could just have easily been said by the man who authored these words: George Bernard Shaw. Watching videos in order to grasp an understanding of his character, George Bernard Shaw speaks forwardly and unabashedly with a high-pitched voice and strong sense of self-worth. In the video I have linked down below, he states on his first visit to America, “Have you all come to see me, ladies and gentlemen?... You know, I’m very glad you’ve come because I like people to see me.” More than just enjoying popularity, Shaw relished his standing as an unconventional playwright who held political views that challenged modern-day norms. Thinking at first that Shaw could be joking in a self-deprecating humor kind of way, I was even more stunned when I realized that that was just how Shaw carried himself in front of audiences at all times. He seemed to often offer comments regarding his fame and seemed to often praise his own character. Addressing an American crowd on his trip, he claims he has an instinct that everyone in America loved to see him. He then smiles at the crowd and rhetorically asks, “How do you like me?” I find it intriguing that he so easily takes the attention thrown at him yet still wants to be a controversial character in society, promoting unpopular socialist views and writing critical political messages. To add to his outwardly shown self-absorbed character (and to clarify the title of this post), he has been quoted to say, "I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." No one with any kind of self-integrity or regard for politeness, as defined by social norms, would ever quote themselves in a non-joking manner.




It is interesting to think about Joan of Arc and how she might have reacted if she were alive today and encountered the same kind of fame that Shaw enjoyed during his lifetime. And of course, by that, I mean the real Joan of Arc and not the character created by Shaw in Saint Joan. Because to me, Joan of Arc doesn’t seem like the kind of person who would say those words that Shaw wrote for her—I would think that she would not consider her popularity a burden at any point, but rather a kind of humbling experience that God has gifted her. If she were to reject any of society’s awards, like Shaw did multiple times, she would do so out of fear of being glorified and idolized in a way that only God should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment