After researching and presenting on the painting Mrs.
Beckwith with Molly for our project, I have realized just how much can be
analyzed from a simple painting. I have been to many art museums over the
years, but often times do not take the time to appreciate the works or read the
descriptions. After having to research a particular painting, I have a greater
understanding of how to analyze an artwork and particularly how much you can gain
from looking at a piece through the lense of the time period it was created in.
We chose this painting because we were very drawn to the woman depicted in it,
but there was little information posted with the image, and little to no
information online about the piece. This created a challenge that I was not
anticipating; in the beginning, I was hoping to choose a painting that had a
long synopsis and a plethora of information online about the artist. Although
this may have been helpful to some projects, I think this created an interesting
perspective for Molly and I to analyze the painting with. We were not hindered
by what others thought about the piece and were able to explore many different
aspects of the painting from simply a visual perspective. We focused on what
her clothes looked like and how exactly she was posed rather than reciting her
biography. I believe this is a more challenging way to analyze an artwork, but
can also be more beneficial and it forced me to rely on my analytical skills more
than my research skills. Our conversation with Ms. Hoyt was also very helpful,
and she encourage us to use the Gilded Age to back up our observations and
thoughts on the woman. This project was challenging, but it made me realize how
much can be observed about a work of art, even those that don’t have long
descriptions, which are usually the ones that I normally skip over at a museum.
Very interesting! One of the things I liked about your talk was how you invited the viewers to imagine themselves in the place of Mrs. Beckwith. Although her clothing would be daunting to wear for us, your comments helped us understand the difference between the soft, furry day-coat worn in the painting and the stiff, constraining ball gowns that she would be expected to wear in the evening or in public. It is amazing how much one can get out of a painting just by studying the person's pose and gaze, isn't it, and the other elements of composition (color, line, etc.) I also appreciated your candor on how visits to art museums usually go for you; I think your attitude is pretty typical and that is important to keep in mind for people like me, who aim to encourage students to visit art museums more often! Thanks.
ReplyDelete