In reading Imogen Stubbs' preface, On Playing Joan, I was struck by her last sentence. She notes that young girls often find themselves relating to her depiction of Joan in Shaw's play, and then goes on to say, "All Joans are relevant but some Joans are more relevant than others - I think Shaw's Joan is the right one to be received by the twenty-first century." I find this a rather curious, but significantly important assertion about the character of this ancient woman.
Joan of Arc is new to me; I do not have a history in Catholic education. Before this class, I knew only the basics: she was French, she burned at the stake, and she became a Saint. But over the past few days, I feel like this one woman has taken on the personas of many different people. It seems that the factual evidence of her life and trial have, over time, transitioned into a kind of legend, with quite a few different interpretations. Depending on the context and the agenda at work, a depiction of Joan could have numerous historical, cultural, political, or religious implications. When we focus on her achievements, she is a symbol of heroism, of triumph against adversity and expectations; but during her trial, she reminds us of the weak and powerless who are unfairly punished. She is, at the same time, the the first feminist and a symbol of religious piety. She gives courage to those who wish to achieve, and solace to those who are suffering.
In the statement above, Stubbs recognizes these various hats that we place on Joan. She references the many depictions of a single woman, and notes that at certain time periods and for certain reasons, we place an emphasis on different aspects of Joan's story and make her into this relatable figure. I think this is where a part of her power lies. Of course, she was an incredible young woman and a revolutionary during her time, but 600 years later, I think she retains this sense of importance and influence due to the connotations that we extract from her story. We create versions of Joan that fit, in some way, with the change in time and that can be compared to our current struggles and needs. In this way, she retains a relevance to people who are so far removed from her personal story, but are able to find a friendly face among the many.
Excellent insights; thank you! Having had no previous experience with this character makes you perhaps even better able to appreciate what Shaw was trying to accomplish in _Saint Joan_. Well done. (Please do remember to include page nos., so that your future self--and all of your readers--may be able to identify your source later with ease.)
ReplyDeleteThanks!