Watching the first few minutes of Forbidden
Games left me shocked, especially because it was so much less gory
than modern war scenes, where dropping bombs create extravagant explosions that
launch blood and flesh everywhere, and yet it still left me feeling
uncomfortable by the end. I think I was caught off guard by the mass of people
fleeing without getting majorly injured in any kind of graphic way, taking the
time to carry their belongings with them even though that slowed them down,
that I wasn’t expecting any kind of trauma at all to occur. This made the
little girl’s actions seem even more surreal and shocking. I did not understand
how her parents could die trying to save her, and yet she felt no emotion in
having lost them but refused to let go of her dead dog. Maybe she didn’t
know what was happening and the dog was a source of comfort for her, but I just
kept thinking about how I freaked out when I lost my parents at the mall and
how much more painful it would be to lose them in the way she lost hers. It
seemed unnatural for her not to care and to see her so calm as she clutched the
dying dog, and then follow her dog when it was flung into the river. Did she
wonder about her parents and what had happened to them? The scene left so many
questions unanswered about why she acted the way she did and how she will feel
later on in life, and that might just be what upset me the most.
The whole film is very strange and ends a few months later. The last you see of the little girl, she is sitting blandly in a waiting room, until the person from the orphanage shows up to fetch her. She is between two worlds and seems to bounce from horror to horror like a little rabbit. Eyes wide open, running on instinct.
ReplyDelete