Sunday, January 25, 2015

Coco After Chanel?

As a film major I have spent many hours discussing the difference between a film’s story and plot. While most people think it an innocuous mistake to confuse the two works, there is a rather large discrepancy between their respective definitions. In the case of Coco Before Chanel the story follows Coco’s meager beginnings to her rise as a prominent high fashion clothing designer.  The plot of the film, however, revolves around Coco’s romantic entanglements and how these escapades shaped her life. While certainly a major factor in her rise to fame, I felt as though the focus on which man she was in love with or whom Coco was sleeping with diminished her importance. The focus of the plot made it seem as though the men in her life were almost more important than her success.


I was a bit disgruntled with the end of the film because I thought that we would see Coco leave the chateau and prove herself in the business world as an important female figure in a market dominated by men. However we not privy to the struggles behind her success but rather we were shown how, already successful, she was still battling the emotional game with both Etienne Balsan and Boy. I desperately wanted Coco to take a stand for herself, throughout the whole movie I was angered by her continuous decision to stay with Balsan, however I understand that without Balsan’s presence in Coco’s life there she would not have attained any sort of successful career. I feel as though the film could have focused on other aspects of her life to paint her in a stronger, independent light. While Coco Before Chanel was an enjoyable film, I sincerely wish that the plot hadn’t undercut the story.  

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting and useful contribution to our discussion, We will watch the end sequence in class today to observe how the director sets up the heroine to appear unsatisfied and emotionally unfulfilled at the end which supposedly recounts her triumph years later. The use of multiple camera angles, the black and white color scheme, and sharp angles all detract from the happiness one could have expected her to project by that point in her career.

    ReplyDelete