Upon reading the chapter from Susan Loomis’s On Rue Tatin, I had to refrain from periodically
laughing at what was on the pages in front of me. I was laughing not because
the writing was clever, which it certainly was, but at the almost absurd amount of good fortune
Loomis had throughout her adventures in France. It seemed to me that at every
turn Loomis was being offered something even more fabulous than what she
already had, a position as head chef at a Parisian bookstore café, an
opportunity to write a book on a topic she loves, a whirlwind romance that
resulted in a fiancé in less than a month, all in one of the most romantic
cities in the world. I am no pessimist, nor do I ever root for another person’s
failure, however I found myself being frustrated by just how perfect her life
seemed to be going. Loomis was living an enchanted life, a life that I could
only relate to from viewing of silver screen romantic comedies or dabbling in
romance novels.
I
was thrilled to see that I must not be the only one who had this particular
view as one of the questions for discussion mentioned whether or not we
believed Loomis’ narrative to be “like a fairytale”. I was ready to tear into Loomis’
work as being hard to relate to and somewhat unbelievable however, upon
reflection I realized that Loomis had actually included a decent amount about
her struggles in Paris in her writings. She simply chose to focus on the
positive aspects rather than elaborating on the negative aspects of her life.
This sort of optimism is inspiring; her life wasn’t perfect but through sheer
optimism and the desire to chase after a higher calling, Loomis achieved a life
that the film industry has been telling women to aspire to for years. However,
she didn’t let others tell her what to want, she wrote her own script.
I wonder if it is true that she "didn't let others tell her what to write." At times her text sounds overly apologetic for the French, as if she had interiorized the negative image of the French among Americans and was using this book to set the story straight, like a spokesperson for France. Despite what she says on page 2, for example, the Paris metro is a nightmare for travelers, mothers with children, disabled people, and the aged. Thus my question on the genre. Why would one write one's life as such a fairy tale? (my suspicion: there are some unresolved issues left unsaid).
ReplyDeleteOr econoomic motives: to seel cook books, get customerss for her cooking school, she has to make France look appealing..
ReplyDelete