Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Drowning Migrants

I saw this NPR article this morning about migrants drowning when their boats sing on the way to Europe. While our character died by putting himself into the belly of the Atlantic, or being plumped to its ground as in the case of the baby, some of these migrants are on the way to Europe when they die in the water. The image of the boy walking on the rocks is similar to the image my mind's eye has of Moussa on the beach before he submits himself (though I do not imagine him to be as modern or active).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Isabel, that article is captivating. What a story! I like the image of the little boy riding his bike near the lake with the swans in scenic southern Germany. It actually sounds like the happy endings in the novels I read, set in the 1790s!
    I hope the rest of their story goes well.
    Also, I wonder what does it mean that "everyone seemed to have a Kalashnikov"?!

    ReplyDelete