What has the French Woman taught me? An interesting question
with a more complex answer than I expected. While I could take this literally
and discuss the French women that we have studied and talk about their traits
and how that has had an impact on my life, I would rather talk about The French
Woman the class. Truthfully I decided to take this class due to the fact that
it was one of the only CSEMs that had a description online and was not
exclusively about religion. I really only read the first the first sentence or
two and I was hooked; the description mentioned significant figures from
history i.e. Coco Channel and Joan of Arc, and it mentioned our use of movies
as textual forms. What I did not expect to get out of The French Woman was a
sense of pride for my gender and a burning anger towards the opposite. Not that
all men are to blame for the subjugation of women throughout history, just that
men still have more rights to be themselves than we do. By that I am
particularly addressing the way that women are represented (rather under
represented) in the media. I found Pamela Paul’s article “She Sounds Smart, but
Her Hair!” from the New York Times
particularly interesting due to the fact that she highlighted the notion that
it doesn’t matter what a woman is saying but rather what she looks like. It is
a harsh reality but one that has to be addressed in order for there to be any
chance of it being fixed. This class has taught me to be more critical of my
surroundings, I am not saying that I am pessimistic about everything, but
rather you have to question the status quo in order to see any kind of change.
Good. You have had what people (before my time too) called an experience that "raised your consciousness." For me, it wasn't until I got to Princeton as a PhD student that I experienced the cold blast of sexism and got energized in the way that you are describing. I have dealt with issues on a par with what we've read here at ND and elsewhere, and learned my own coping mechanisms. (The best one for me is to always be prepared and to achieve such high standing in the profession that no one can doubt my abilities. But remember I was also an administrator for 10 years, and saw many ugly things. It is a joy to be able to teach and write and avoid the men in the upper administration.) The way you, KK, will address the issues in your life will evolve over the years, but it is good to know that you are now involved! Once your consciousness has been raised, it will never deflate!
ReplyDelete