In my reading of The Belly of the Atlantic for tomorrow's
class I seemed to find so many interesting quotes in every page range except
the one that was assigned to me. So I hope my classmates take advantage of all
those good words during our mystery game tomorrow! As an African, I personally
identified with many of the moral lessons Fatou Diome incorporated into her
book. Many times, African parents/elders will use the most round about
statements to get a moral message across to you, and many hours of contemplation
later you will realize the meaning behind their coded messages. For example, on
page 25 Diome says, "Grandma told me that in the secrecy of the home, an
elephant becomes as light as a butterfly".[1]
After reading this section, I immediately wanted to title my blog post,
"Float Like and Elephant, Sting like a Bee," and delve into a
discussion about the way we as women often stroke men's egos and make them feel
needed even when they aren't. To comment on how we as women, though very
knowledgeable of how to handle lives on our own, seem to go out of our way to
ask for help just to seem more "feminine".
But instead I thought it would be better to
share my thoughts on a few quotes on pages 25 and 26:
“In paradise, you don’t struggle, you don’t fall
ill, you don’t ask questions; it’s enough to be alive, you can afford
everything you desire, including the luxury of time, and that automatically
means you’re available. That’s how Madiké imagined my life in France … He persisted in
imagining I wanted for nothing, living like royalty at the court of Louis XIV.
… He wasn’t going to feel sorry for a sister living in on of the world’s great
powers after all.”
Most of my family, with the exception of a
handful of aunts, uncles and their children, is still based in Nigeria. I’m very
fortunate to get the best of both worlds, because anytime I go home to Nigeria
I get to meet new cousins and family members that I wasn’t able to visit the
time before. On the other hand, I meet new faces that are expecting a gift, be
it a new phone or a pair of shoes or a dress. Now don’t get me wrong, it feels
great to be able to go home and spoil my family members with the surplus of
things I have here in the states, but it is a big burden to play the role of
Santa every time I visit. Though my family in Nigeria is not suffering or
wanting for much in their lives, they still expect presents, both monetary and
material, every time my family and I visit home. In their minds, life over here
is much too sweet not to share some of our good fortune. It’s as though they
think money grows on trees here in the states. It never seems to baffle me! And
what’s even funnier is the second I try to mention some sort of struggle I
face, they brush it off as if I, being based in the states, don’t ever face
hardship of any kind. So for me, it was incredible simple to understand her
sentiment when her brother didn’t seem to want to take time and see that her
life in France wasn’t all everyone else imagined it to be. She described it
perfectly on page 26, “The third world can’t see Europe’s wounds, it is blinded
by its own; it can’t hear Europe’s cry, it is deafened by its own. Having
someone to blame lessens your suffering, and if the third world started to see
the west’s misery, it would lose the target of its anger.”
Absolutely fabulous, Oma. Thank you for this personal and powerful reflection on family and gifts. Have you read Marcel Mauss, The Gift? It is very interesting how groups interact and so different from culture to culture! As one who married into a family with drastically higher expectations for events, I have felt my share of strangeness about the exchange of things. In my husband's Italian-American and Polish family, giving children piles of lavish gifts, celebrating weddings with huge prime rib dinners at upscale resorts is the norm. In my family, one generally has a reception in the church hall, with Freznet and wedding cake. We used to get a book for Christmas from my dad (but lots of other stuff from "Santa"). It is sometimes dizzying, to think how different our families act on important occasions. I used to be terrified of them, as did my little boys! One time my son had to hide in a bedroom for a while, because they were so noisy and all wanted to hug him. Noise, gifts, food--all these things are so culturally coded, aren't they?
ReplyDelete