Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Poetry


I have never been a fan of poetry. In fact, my senior year of high school when given the freedom to write a poem on any topic, I wrote about how I didn’t like poetry. To me, it just always makes more sense to be straightforward rather than to use flowery language to get a point across. However, Fatou Diome’s writing style in The Belly of the Atlantic is very poetic but this time I actually do like it. She uses many literary devices, which make what she writes very vivid to the imagination.
In chapter 7 she describes the birth of Sankèle’s illegitimate child. While reading, I am often confused as to what she is referring to but by the end of a chapter or section of a chapter it all comes together and it makes sense. When she was talking about someone knocking at the door, I thought there was actually someone at the door. As she kept going, however, I realized that this “someone” was Sankèle’s unborn child and this “door” was her birth canal. Diome creates a lively atmosphere by intertwining Sankèle and her mother’s emotions and physical states with the progression of the child into the world. This intertwining makes for a very vivid picture and a fun reading experience. The progression takes the following order:

“Someone was knocking at the door of the world.”[1]
“Someone was growing impatient and knocking at the door of the world.”
“Someone was forcing the door to the world.”
“Someone pushed the door to the world.”

This is an effective way to get the point across in an interesting manner. The repetition of the words “someone,” “door,” and “world” allows for continuation but the variation allows for a story to take place within the larger story.



[1] Fatou Diome, The Belly of the Atlantic (2006), 89-90.

1 comment:

  1. A thoughtful reflection on poetry--a view I have often shared. Sometimes, though, if one is in the right mood, or seeking some solace, poetry can be helpful like an old friend or a memory of love. It may remind us of lullabies that someone once sang to us, or stories that our mothers once told us, quietly at night, as we were drifting off to sleep. At times like those, the repetition of words feels comforting, because we are open to the experience and can relax into their embrace. The same things that make prose satisfying when we are in a rush to explain, suddenly fall by the wayside, and poetry feels stronger and more universally true and rich. It's all in the reader's perception, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete