After Juliette's "I am a gold-digger"
proclamation, 4:05 into And God Made Woman, I could not get Kanye West's
2005 hit out of my head for the remainder of the film[1].
In my Human Ethology class, we just finished reading a book by Deborah Tannen
in which she studied the differences in the verbal interactions between men and
women and how that impacts their work and relationships. I could not help but
think about Tannen’s description of men seeing the world as hierarchy, in which
everything is a battle where they must preserve independence, convey knowledge
and avoid failure, while women value community, empathy and approach the world
as an individual trying to make connections and avoid isolation[2].
Though both descriptions are generalizations of gender, Juliette and many of the
men in our film fit these descriptions. Juliette throughout the film is
searching for the love and attention she never felt she received as an orphan
and the men in the movie who pursued her seemed to view her as something to be
tamed, a broken individual who needs fixing.
Much like Bridget Todd, a social media editor at
MSNBC.com mentioned in the NYT article, as a woman of color I struggle everyday
with making sure my hair isn’t presentable and I’m just going to class! I
couldn’t imagine her stress level in getting “TV ready” each day. Even though I
am not in the public eye the same way Todd is, it is disheartening to hear that
our Afro naturally curly hair is so off-putting to some and I’m frustrated that
these comments are used to undermine our intelligence and divert focus from our
knowledge and accomplishments. My favorite part of the article was the final
theory as to why many commentators focus is on the fashion of women in media,
“… the commentators are unable to respond on the substance”[3].
This resonated with me because many times when any woman is attacked about her
appearance, we seldom hear a follow-up complaint about the validity of her
comments. People are quick to find something bad to say about you, and as sad
as it is, if they can’t talk down your intelligence, the best they can do is
attack your clothing. These types of people need to find a hobby, knitting is
always fun.
[1] Lévy, Raoul, Roger
Vadim, Brigitte Bardot, Curd Jürgens, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jane Marken, Jean
Tissier, et al. 2000. Et Dieu-- créa la femme God created woman. [United
States]: Criterion Collection.
[2] Deborah Tannen, You just don't understand: women and men in
conversation (New York: Harper 2007).
[3] Pamela Paul, “She Sounds Smart, but Look at Her
Hair!,” The New York Times, March 27,
2015, accessed March 31, 2015,
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/style/she-sounds-smart-but-look-at-her-hair.html.
HA!
ReplyDeleteWell-written article that interveaves a film, a scholarly book in socio-linguistics, and a newspaper article: a model of the blog genre at its best. I first learned about Deborah Tannen in graduate school, when we read _That's Not What I Meant!: How Conversational Style Makes or Breaks Relationships_
and her work remains relevant and interesting to me during the years I've spent as a married woman. Even though we've been daily partners since 1981, sometimes I feel like my husband just "doesn't get" it: he offers advice instead of listening, for example. So now I tell him what I need from the interaction, for example, I say, "Please don't tell me what to do. Just acknowledge what I'm saying, and sympathize with my plight." Seems to work, sometimes!
There is much work to do, clearly, in our society and we're all in it together.
Aux armes, citoyennes!
(NB: watch the order of the names in footnotes, remember that they are written First Name Last Name. And make sure to put the footnote on the outside of punctuation.]
Thanks for this nice work!