Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sports in Education

The Belly of the Atlantic reminds me of an experience I had last year.  I volunteered at a local school where I essentially helped with anything that the 6th grade teacher I was assigned to needed.  Most every week this entailed individually tutoring a student, Jesse, in reading.  Jesse was in 6th grade but read at a 1st grade reading level.  I struggled to work with Jesse, and he struggled to work with me.  I so badly wanted him to want my help and to get better, but he really had no interest in even talking to me.  The one point that we really ever connected on was sports.  Jesse played football and loved it.  He would tell me about the plays he did well on in last week’s games and would reenact the plays in the library, which got us into trouble sometimes, but at least he would talk to me then.  A few times, he opened up about his family life, and from the few stories he told, I gathered that his home was not the most supportive environment especially in terms of education.  He wanted to go to college but was under the impression that sports and football were the only way he was ever going to have this opportunity. 

I understand that Jesse’s situation is far different than Madické, but I think the way that both boys view education is similar.  Education is necessary to achieve the ultimate means to “get out.”  Education, is in itself, will not get them out but will provide a platform for Jesse to play football and hopefully get a scholarship and for Madické to learn French and make a club team in Europe.  I do not have any knowledge other than the first 60 pages of The Belly of the Atlantic to comment Senegal’s educational system, but as for ours, it distresses me that as only a 6th grader a student like Jesse has already given up on the merit of his education.  Somewhere he caught onto this idea that he is only good enough to play football, so there is no point in him learning.  He had to get this idea from some one, and it is scary to think that our educational system could have something to do with it.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that story because it definitely ties into what we are learning in this theme. There is a great divide between people and the opportunities that they get, especially immigrants coming to a new country, and I think that the greatest resource that can be given to the people is the chance to expand and grow. Nobody should ever feel trapped on one path like Jesse does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the limits around life for inner-city youth are starkly drawn, in this country, and sports may very well seem like the only way out. At least life does not seem as violent in Senegal as it does in South Bend.

    ReplyDelete