Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Artistry in Athleticism

I found the passage on page 20 regarding globalization very interesting, especially coming shortly after the saga that was Madické watching the Italy v. the Netherlands football (soccer) match.

Especially in response to Anna's post, I find it interesting that this young boy's main idol is Paulo Maldini, an italian footballer, who it seems has little in common with him other than the love of football. Unlike musicians or actors who tell a story within their profession, the only way for a young boy in a somewhat globally isolated village to connect with an athlete is through a respect of their skill. I find it interesting that Madické's passion is so fervent for Maldini when he knows little about his life. His heart pounds and he feels real concern for the state of his idol when their only connection is through sport. He cares for him as hyper-fans of celebrities have been known to care for their celebrity-crushes in this country, but with little knowledge of his life, not the least of which is an unshared language. I would think that if anything was going to reach and resonate with someone in such an isolated community, it would be a story or a common struggle. I did not anticipate to see the same emotions towards an athlete (of course I am biased because I have not grown up playing sports) as I have towards artists and musicians.

Perhaps we should start thinking of athletes and artists as more similar in this way. It is not uncommon to discuss how art can connect people form across the world and very different walks of life. The depictions of the human condition of music especially can resonate across cultures. However, sports are likely much more accessible to much of the worlds population, especially those with the greatest struggles (those with the most to say about the human condition). Perhaps we should be looking for more ways to inspire Madické, similar to watching Maldini on television to help him realize what Anna mentioned, that "education is necessary to achieve the ultimate means to 'get out.'" Perhaps all he needs is to feel connected, regardless of how that comes to be, in order to pull himself out of the struggle he is in.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to express your mind opening to new ways of thinking! You are right; there is a gracefulness in many sports that mirrors the aesthetics we seek in dance. If only the fans were equally refined and appreciative of the athletes' efforts in all sports.

    ReplyDelete